top of page
immigration, visa, green card, immigration lawyer

Nonimmigrant Visas

The chart below contains many different purposes of temporary travel and the related nonimmigrant visa categories.
Select a visa category below to learn more

Athlete, amateur or professional (competing for prize money only  -  B-1

Au pair exchange visitor  -  J

Australian professional specialty   -   E-3

Border Crossing Card: Mexico  -  BCC

Business visitor  -  B-1

CNMI-only transitional worker  -  CW-1

Crewmember  -  D

Diplomat or foreign government official  -  A

Domestic employee or nanny - must be accompanying a foreign national employer  -  B-1

Employee of a designated international organization or NATO  -  G1-G5, NATO

Exchange visitor  -  J

Foreign military personnel stationed in the United States  -  A-2  or  NATO1-6

Foreign national with extraordinary ability in Sciences, Arts, Education, Business or Athletics  -  O

Free Trade Agreement (FTA) Professional: Chile, Singapore  -  H-1B1 - Chile or H-1B1 - Singapore

International cultural exchange visitor  -  Q

Intra-company transferee  -  L

Medical treatment, visitor for  -  B-2

Media, journalist  -  I

NAFTA professional worker: Mexico, Canada  -  TN/TD

Performing athlete, artist, entertainer  -  P

Physician  -  J , H-1B

Professor, scholar, teacher (exchange visitor)  -  J

Religious worker  -  R

Specialty occupations in fields requiring highly specialized knowledge  -  H-1B

Student: academic, vocational  -  F, M

Temporary agricultural worker  -  H-2A

Temporary worker performing other services or labor of a temporary or seasonal nature. -  H-2B

Tourism, vacation, pleasure visitor  -  B-2

Training in a program not primarily for employment  -  H-3

Treaty trader/treaty investor  -  E

Transiting the United States  -  C

Victim of Criminal Activity  -  U

Victim of Human Trafficking  -  T

Nonimmigrant (V) Visa for Spouse and Children of a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR)V(NA)  -  Renewals in the U.S. - A, G, and NATO Visas


The information on this site is not intended to be legal advice.

bottom of page